Saturday, January 14, 2012

Christmas Parties Pt. II (2011)

A continuation of the Christmas parties I attended, and things I did in between. If you'll notice, my last Christmas party was held in January!

December 29, 2011: SM Mall of Asia

What I wore: Uniqlo shirt, Takeo Kikuchi jacket, Bench jeans, sneakers from Hong Kong 

Steak at Highlands Steakhouse - it's to die for 

Someone thought it was funny to vandalize the Highlands restroom. I burst out laughing

A wonderful collection of artists and their works. It was too expensive so I wasn't able to buy any. I would have liked to get Picasso, Munch, Van Gogh, and Toulouse-Lautrec

Went to SM Mall of Asia with the folks. We didn't really have a plan in mind, we just wanted to go because we were supposed to go on Christmas Day (we ended up in Alabang). We had dinner at Highlands Steakhouse and saw my family friend GP with his girlfriend Andi Manzano. Bought a dress shirt from Topman to reward my effort for my Best of the Year feature in Supreme.

December 31, 2011: The Arsua New Year's Eve Party

Me, my mom, and my brother 

My brother with our cousins Gilly and Mimae 

Spent a lot of time taking pictures of fireworks 

My cousin Gabe playing with this thing (I have no idea what it's called), the only thing allowed for the kids 

My new favorite firework - a fountain that emits whips and makes loud whistling noises

Our annual New Year's Eve party is held at the Paragases in Xavierville, Quezon City. We have dinner, lots of desserts, and watch the neighbors fireworks while lighting our own. Ours is usually the safer kind, while the neighbors opt for the grand displays of light and sound. Dinner was delicious - there was carbonara, kare-kare, ox tongue, chicken, and lechon. I tried pig's brains for the first time and it tasted like balut. Had a lot for dessert: two slices of cake, pistachio ice cream, lemon yogurt ice cream, and fruit salad, but regrets are for the new year!


January 1, 2012: SM Mall of Asia

What I wore: Uniqlo shirt, Forever 21 cardigan, Bench jeans, and sneakers from Hong Kong 

A Britney tribute. She lip-synced to a Britney medley. Not so convincing

The Gaga tribute was more convincing. She sang Bad Romance, Telephone, and Marry The Night with the appropriate costumes and steps

One of my favorite acts: a young Mongolian girl contortionist. She's won awards for her tricks 

The cast

My brother and I discovered a shopping cart in the parking lot. Of course, a photo shoot ensued

For the first day of the year, the folks and I were in Mall of Asia (again) to catch the Uncle Sam's Flying Circus. It was their last day and my mom wanted to see the show. The show was entertaining. They weren't as good as the acrobats we saw in Shanghai, whose tricks were flawlessly done, but the Flying Circus made up for it by doing stunts I've never seen before and for being upbeat. The Shanghai Acrobatic Troupe was serious while the Flying Circus focused on having fun. The members were from different countries, from Brazil to China to Romania and I think there was even one Filipino. My favorite stunts were where these guys would perform flips over trampolines. And the ringmaster is actually also a performer and he did flips, too!

January 10, 2012: Ninang Daisy's Christmas party


My Ninang Daisy with my mom and friends


Overflowing food: there was Japanese curry, chicken, cordon bleu, barbecue, lasagna, and my ninang's very delicious chicharon. There were three kinds of desserts so I indulged!

With the hostess, my Ninang Daisy. What I wore: Topman dress shirt, Bench jeans, Kickers loafers

 With my ninang, Maria Isabel Lopez, who regaled me with stories of me as a kid

 The little celebrity, AJ Yao

My last Christmas party for the season is with my Ninang Daisy, my mother's manager when she was still modeling. This party is starting to become a tradition after last year's success and is mainly composed of the models my ninang handled, many of whom are also my ninangs, some of who I haven't seen in ages. It's been so long that they regaled me with stories of me as a kid and they called me Kallyboy the entire night, my childhood nickname. One of them is Maria Isabel Lopez, who was in Brillante Mendoza's Kinatay and more recently, Survivor Philippines: Celebrity Doubles Showdown. The night was filled with food, wine, stories, and fawning over AJ, my ninang's first grandson. He's an adorable kid, with a cute smile to boot. The night concluded with the distribution of gifts (kids not included), but my ninang gave me hers, a paper bag filled with beauty products: a L'Oreal moisturizer (really good stuff), a Garnier exfoliant, a Kerastase anti-dandruff spray, and a bath kit from Biotherm Homme, all courtesy of her son Jappy, who is the Marketing Research and Intelligence Manager at L'Oreal Singapore. I haven't seen Jappy in years, but we were really close growing up. He's gay, too and he wanted to meet me to talk about our sexuality, but by the time the party rolled around, he had to get back to Singapore. But his mom took up the pace and we talked about it, along with my mom and two of their amigas who also have gay sons. At the end of the night, another event seems to be shaping up into a tradition: one of the moms who has a gay kid is setting me up with him. My mom seems to think it's a brilliant idea, which makes it even more awkward.

Continued from here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...